Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tri Season getting close !


Last year after the Green Lake Tri in Spicer, MN, my first olympic distance tri, still smilin "  !

A rare race when I actually wasn't last !


Tri season is getting closer, and it's tough to imagine with a high temp today of 5, above !  Registration submitted for only the Buffalo Tri so far, on June 7, I am looking at others that fill up quickly, and I will consider the ones that don't fill during the season, see how much time I have and how well the legs hold up !  

I am very excited about the Buffalo Tri, it was my first ever, and this will be my third time on the sprint distance course.  Last year, I took about nine minutes off my 2007 time, next attempt I am hoping for 1:30 which will be seven min less, a realistic goal with my new road bike, sticking with my training plan, and some luck....1:30 will be doable.  1/4 mi swim, 12 mi bike, 5 K run.  

My game plan will be to warm up much more than in the past for the swim, have been deficient in the past here, quick transitions, hit the bike really hard, and keep a steady running pace, if I can accomplish these goals I'll be close to 1:30.  Achieving that time I would actually be almost midpack, rather than worrying about finishing last, which I never have done.  If I can find a small enough tri this year I could possibly place in the top three my age group....     :-)   ...but won't at Buffalo.

With a short run a person can push the bike pretty hard; the run course is completely flat while the bike course has some tough hills.  This is a fairly new tri, but advertised as the third largest in Minn now, very well run, close to home, and the racer's packet has lots of goodies, in past have gotten a sun visor, carry bag, t-shirt and water bottle of course, and a free lunch after for racers.  



  

No comments: