Monday, August 25, 2008

Another Day in Paradise !






This weekend's adventure was a group hike on the SHT, 6.5 miles, about 20 or so showed up on a gorgeous day, as the nights lengthen the temps are dropping. This hike has some fantastic overlooks, the Poplar River valley and Caribou Lake (pic above). Caribou Lake is the lake I try to swim each time I go up that far north. After the 4 hour hike the water felt very refreshing, and exercising the arms after all of that leg work was a welcome change.

I left later Fri afternoon than planned, getting into one of the Finland campgrounds as dark was falling, the severe storm warmings that were being issued turned out to be very little wind or rain. It is extremely dry in the area and they can use the rain. The next morning I met a friend for breakfast and made the 10 am hike, Lutsen to Caribou. The hike leader was an interesting lady to visit with, her and her husband co-authored one of the BWCA guidebooks that we have used on our BWCA adventures. Their first edition was in 1978. We had no trouble swapping BWCA stories as we swept the hike, helping a person who was having some serious blister trouble, discovered a new use for ducttape !

Afterwards, I ventured north and hiked into the campsites I maintain. Along the route a young man came up behind me and we started talking, he and his family had hiked in the prior night, starting well after dark, they used flashlights and went into one of my campsites, taking 2 hours for an hour trip. Ambitious of them as they had never been on this section of trail prior. Earlier that day they can out and were now heading back in for another night.

The nearby Little Brule River was bone dry, not even any pools of water, confirming the online reports I have been reading. A "trail angel" had placed gallon water jugs of water at each site for those seriously short of water upon arrival.

I am constantly amazed at how a short time in the woods can cleanse me, phsycially and spiritually, refresh my soul. After a campfire, fighting off a bear or two, a pack of wolves, I slept 11 hours, so I guess that it is not too tough to figure out that being in the woods is where I am meant to be, and this time of year the 40 degree temps make for perfect sleeping conditions. 34 in Hibbing last night.............Fall has arrived !

On the trip home, I had time for some North Shore sightseeing, stopping at Palisade Head, had been by many times but stopped for the first time. Just when you think you've seen the best lake views you find a new one ! Standing on top to these cliffis on a crystal clean day overlooking the lake I could easily see the Apostles to the east, bringing back many great sailing memories. These cliffs are known as a good rapelling spot, and there was a group there today.


Enjoy your week!

No comments: